Pros and Cons of PPF
Nothing is perfect, and no product is right for everyone. Here are the major benefits of PPF, as well as a few drawbacks.
Since their original use on military vehicles and helicopters, modern Paint Protection Films (PPF) have developed an incredible amount. Over the decades, engineers and material scientists have discovered ways to maintain its armour-like protective qualities while making it increasingly thinner and less noticeable.
Automotive PPF explores the latest in self-healing and UV inhibiting technologies, as well as impact and chemical resistance.
Why Do People Choose PPF?
The main reason to install PPF on a vehicle is to protect its paint from impact damage (from kicked up road debris, scratches, and scuffs) and chemical damage (caused by things like bug splatter, acid rain, and tree sap). PPF is like an insurance policy for your paint, keeping it in pristine condition for as long has you have the films installed.
High-end modern films have a top layer composed of an elastomeric polymer, which helps the films contour to the curved shapes of modern cars and allow “self-healing” of the film. Self healing is the term given to film that can recover itself from minor damage. Read more about the PPF packages available at Diversity right here.
Pros and Cons
Nothing is perfect, and no product is for everyone. Here is a list of the pros and cons of PPF, which should help you decide if PPF is right for you and your vehicle.
- Unbeatable protection against rock chips. Seriously, the only better way you can protect your car from rock chips is by leaving it in the garage!
- Futuristic self-healing properties. You will be amazed the first time you witness scratches and scuffs disappear before your eyes, and will find yourself asking why you didn’t do this years ago.
- Protects your paint from scratches. Deep scratches in your paint require aggressive polishing to get rid of, and may even require significant paint restoration. This is time consuming and expensive. PPF protects your car from scratches so you can rest assured that your vehicle will remain safe from harm.
- When well taken care of, high-end PPF can last up to a decade. No other exterior vehicle treatment matches the durability and longevity of PPF. When new PPF is finally needed, the old stuff is simply peeled off to make room.
- Significant up-front cost. High-end PPF is a premium material, and the installation requires careful attention from trained professionals. PPF is certainly more expensive than a bottle of carnauba wax, but we think the benefits speak for themselves.
- Can not be repaired. The self healing properties are amazing, but if serious damage happened to your PPF (such as what might happen in an accident), the film cannot be repaired and must be fully replaced.
- May reduce paint gloss. If you have a showroom quality vehicle that you rarely drive and keep in a climate controlled garage, you might notice a slight reduction in paint gloss. That being said, MANY owners of luxury and exotic cars choose PPF because of the protection it offers, as the reduction in gloss is barely perceptible to most people.
- Not a good DIY project. The products that are available directly to consumers are different than the products that are available to professional shops. DIY PPF is optimized for easy installation, whereas pro PPF is optimized for performance. If you’ve ever seen yellow, peeling, or cracking PPF, you are most likely looking at a DIY job or sub-standard films applied by a shady shop. When it comes to PPF, it’s worth it to go pro – read more about why it’s important to choose a certified shop right here.
Go to the Local Pros
The best way to avoid major PPF pitfalls is to choose a dedicated local installer who has been successfully Installing PPF for thousands of happy clients. Diversity Auto Films has been the go-to shop for Vancouver Island residents for over 20 years, so you can rest easy knowing that you are getting premium service at a competitive price. Setting up an appointment is easy, click here to reach out, and we’re always happy to answer your questions.